Saturday, April 2, 2011

Reading While Jumping!




I like to expose my four year olds to reading in many ways.  I read to them everyday.  I read with them often, encouraging them to read along with big books and poems.  And I give them time and opportunity to read on their own.

A great way to get young children who like to move a lot involved in reading is to give them a movement poem.




This is a simple poem, separated on sheets and laminated so they can be jumped on.

This one lends itself quite well to this activity.
One bear
Two bears
Three bears
Four
Five bears
Six bears
Seven bears
More!



We learned the rhythm of the poem and then we took turns jumping it.  It was then left out for children to "read" on their own.



It is a great way to get children to jump into reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment