Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Melted Crayon Art




I have wanted to try this experience with my class ever since reading about it on Teacher Tom’s Blog post, Nothing Normal Art. 

The teacher in our threes class had pulled out a big bucket of peeled crayon scraps.  She was doing another cool project.  In her class the children drew on top of a hot plate lined with foil.  They then covered the drawing with paper and rolled it with a roller transferring the art to the paper.  Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of this.  

But, with the peeled crayons coming out and my year quickly ending, I knew I had to try this project.



We did it on our easel.  I did line it with foil after I saw how much hot melted wax got all over it when I tested the activity.  I curved the foil around the sides as well to prevent it from spraying on the floor.  

The children wrote their names on card stock, and then we used a hot glue gun to attach the crayons to the paper.  Tom lets the children use the hot glue gun.  Now that I have given this a try, I would be more apt to do that too, but I wasn't up for that for the first go.

  

Some chose to put them in a row, others randomly across the page.  Then they held the hot hairdryer over the crayons as they melted.





 It was fascinating to watch how different children approached it.  Some became so intrigued with how different crayons melted at different rates, or how the angel of the hairdryer changed the flow of the melting wax, or how the dryer also melted the hot glue often sending some crayons flying off the page. 







A coupled of crayons refused to melt.  They noticed the colors mixing as the melting wax crossed paths.  Some put their crayons in patterns or selected several shades of the same color. 

Some stayed until every last speck of crayon had melted and dripped down the page, others tired more quickly. They also loved to watch each other. 



I just love when science and art blend together so compatibly and each child can experience the level of curiosity and discovery for which they are ready.   The products were unique and beautiful, but the process was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment