Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sensory Table Idea-Pom Poms


                                          

Here is a fun, colorful activity for your sensory table that leads to great fine motor practice, sorting, counting, patterning, one-one correspondence, problem solving, positive interactions and much more.


Fill the sensory table with pom poms.  We get the 1 lb bag from Discount School Supply-that is a LOT of pom poms-of all different sizes and colors.  


Add attached chopsticks, and other skinny tongs that you have available, again Discount has some good ones.
.
Put out some small trays with sections.  Pictured are ice cube trays I found at the dollar store.  Saving the inserts from boxes of candy works well too.



Then let the children explore.


Give it a try and let me know what extensions and other ideas you come up with. We used them today to create mazes with blocks and straws.  That post will be up soon.
Have fun playing with pom poms!  

3 comments:

  1. Fun! I hadn't thought of using pom-poms before. I think I will set this up this afternoon for my toddler. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are pom poms the only item you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try it and have them arrange into patterns!

    ReplyDelete