Monday, February 25, 2013

Where Is The Shark? A Positional Word Lesson


We had been discussing and using positional words in my class of four year olds.  One of our favorite songs, is 

There's A Spider on My Head

There's a Spider on my toe, on my toe.
There's a Spider on my toe, on my toe.
There's a Spider on my toe
I wish that he would go
There's a Spider on my toe, on my toe.

Then use knee, leg, middle, arm, hand...whatever body parts you want to and come up with a rhyme for all the way up to your head.  As we sing, I balance a spider on each part.  

We switched up the song for fun and used a Beanie baby shark that I used when I sang the song. 

Then we  made a book using photographs of the children with the shark in different positions.  We used predictable, repetitive text to promote independent re-reading of the book.  






The children enjoy reading the book and seeing the photographs of their classmates.  They feel like "readers" and are gaining many concepts of print as they read and reread this book.  

Check out the post on The Spatial Awareness Game which would pair well with this song and activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment